« back to listing
Lead Engineer - Advanced Engineering (Cummins)
Cummins Inc., a global power leader, is a corporation of complementary business units that design, manufacture, distribute and service engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems. Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana, (USA) Cummins employs approximately 44,000 people worldwide and serves customers in approximately 190 countries and territories through a network of more than 600 company-owned and independent distributor locations and approximately 6,500 dealer locations. Cummins earned $1.66B on sales of $17.3B in 2012.
Huddersfield centre of excellence
Supplying global markets with innovative, reliable and environmentally advanced products, Our Huddersfield HQ is the global technical centre for engineering excellence. Cummins Turbo Technologies is a world class business that is universally recognised as a pioneering leader in the design and manufacture of turbochargers. As the No.1 name in the industry, we work in partnership with the largest OEM’s in the automotive sector, developing and delivering cutting edge technologies and solutions for the small, medium and heavy duty diesel engine markets.
We are now looking to hire a talented engineer who will join us as a Lead Engineer - Advanced Engineering at our Huddersfield site. The Lead Engineer will work in the field of turbo machinery for combustion engines as well as related sub-systems and will be responsible for running advanced engineering projects to develop innovative products going to market in, typically, 2 to 5 years. Tasks will include using “ideation”, design, analysis, and testing of prototypes to prove concept designs to the point of readiness for New Product Introduction programmes.
Responsibilities of the role will include, but are not limited to:
• Work in field of turbo charging, engine air handling and other sub-systems for improvement of engine performance, emissions and fuel economy.
• Deliver technology development projects and manage these through the entire lifecycle. This will include: defining the project requirement and the technical specifications, budget planning, defining of timelines, risk management and project planning.
• Collaborate with customers, suppliers and universities as well as internal cross-functional teams.
• Document findings and learnings and write invention disclosures.
• Review existing IP (including competitors’ IP)
• Against defined market needs, coordinate structured “ideation” processes.
• Plan and execute concept design and arrange manufacture of prototypes.
• Gather relevant data about field usage and, using FMEA, plan and execute validation testing to demonstrate required level of reliability.
• Lead small projects or portions of large projects and provide technical direction for a project or a project team. Assist with the transfer of knowledge; coach and mentor less experienced engineers
• Propose innovative initiatives and projects.
• Demonstrate depth of knowledge of engineering discipline(s) and leverage expertise on other projects.
Skills And Experience Required:
• Knowledge of market drivers in field of combustion engines.
• Awareness of manufacturing and product quality processes in field of combustion engines and related components. Knowledge of market drivers in field of combustion engines.
• Understanding of the basics of integration, verification, and validation concepts including component testing, integration testing, system testing, performance testing, test planning and documentation, and test environment.
• Understanding of Product Risk Management and Value Engineering.
• Understanding of the basic terminology used in requirements engineering.
• Applicants must have leadership experience in the development and maintenance of requirements for a component, sub-system, or process.
• Proficient in the application of concept design/architecture in a wide range of work situations.
• Project management and communication skills. Ability to influence internal and external stakeholders.
Required Education / Licences / Certifications:
Educated to degree level in Engineering or equivalent in experience. Green Belt certification is desirable but not essential.
Interested? Please APPLY DIRECTLY via the Careers Cummins website.
Alternatively please also review our website for new opportunities and apply for suitable vacancies at www.careers.cummins.com/, or visit http://www.cummins.com/ to learn about Cummins.